Re: The team of PayPal is a band of pigs and cads!

On 24/08/10 11:09, Michael Scheinost wrote:
On 08/23/2010 10:04 PM, David Carlson wrote:
I am a newbie here.  Since they use SSL, isn't it overkill to route your
connection through Tor?  I know it is a pain to switch Tor on and off
No, it's not an overkill since tor does not provide end-to-end
encryption, but anonymity on the level of IP addresses. Actually it is
highly recommended to use tor with ssl secured services:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#CanexitnodeseavesdroponcommunicationsIsntthatbad

michael

There are two different issues here: privacy and anonymity.

In terms of privacy (shielding your content from your ISP for example), the danger with using Tor without SSL is that the exit node can sniff your traffic (as can your ISP or any router between you and your destination unless you use SSL - this is, of course, when you are not using Tor) and the exit node can also inject malicious content. The solution is to use Tor with SSL. Go to www.scroogle.org when using Tor and it will ask you to use its SSL service because, as it says, an exit node can potentially sniff your traffic. When using Scroogle with its SSL service, any exit nodes cannot sniff or inject because even though the content is decrypted by the exit node (which is essential since the exit node needs to provide your request to the destination website in a manner than the website can understand), the content is still SSL'd (until it is un-SSL'd at the final website).

The other point of using Tor is to achieve anonymity. By hiding your real IP you can log into sites without compromising who you are based on your static or NAT'd IP.

In his specific case, however, the anonymity issue would probably be a moot point if he is logging into his actual PayPal account, and therefore I suspect he simply wants to use Tor on principle.