Re: Best Hardware for TOR server..

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 09:34:36AM -0600, Scott Bennett wrote:

>      Thank you.  You just brought forward the thing that has been eluding
> my recollection since this thread started.  Linksys routers do not have
> enough memory for the NAT table to run a tor exit server, and they do not

Are you sure OpenWRT on a Linksys can't handle the states with 32 MBytes RAM,
and a 0.2..0.5 MBit/s upstream?

I've just looked at the state table (256 kBit/s allocated to Tor middleman via Vidalia) in
my pfSense 1.2 RC3, and it has about 360 entries (pfSense uses about 1 k RAM/state).
It should be possible to handle some 5 k states with 32 MBytes of RAM,
assuming iptables (or whatever 2.4 uses) scale similiarly.

IIRC just the other day someone mentioned a Tor package for Pfsense -- was
that on this list?

> handle a table overflow condition gracefully.  What happens when a SYN goes
> out at a time when the table is full is that the connection never happens,
> which is reasonable enough, but when table entries have later been freed,
> outbound connections continue to fail.  This remains the situation until
> the router has been rebooted.

The states never expire? I'm running my router with most conservative
settings.

>      In my experience, a Linksys router on a Comcast connection may run for
> days before the above described situation occurs, but OTOH, it may only run
> for an hour or two before it happens.  It is conceivable that the same might
> occur for a middleman-only server, but far less likely because connections
> to the outside will normally be far fewer, given that many circuits, each
> with perhaps multiple streams, may be funneled through a single TCP connection
> with its corresponding NAT table entry.  In the case of an exit server, every
> stream that exits needs its own NAT table entry.
>      FWIW, a *BSD or LINUX system running as a router with natd(8) on it

Linksys uses Linux (Vxworks for its more braindead types of routers which
I know nothing about), but the default firmware is pretty pathetic.

Once again I very much recommend using pfSense (or m0n0wall) for your
home router on embedded hardware (the sky is the limit on nonembedded,
I'm running it on a SunFire X2100 M2 at work).