Re: Proper TOR DNS Configuration Testing Help

Mark Manning wrote:
Hello - I'm just starting to pay attention to this mailing list so forgive me if this subject has been brought up before.

I'm interested in setting up a [or using an existing] service that could test for a proper DNS configuration [among other things]. The goal being that a person could visit a web page to confirm that their DNS queries were being forwarded through the TOR network and not using a local DNS server.

I was considering doing something similar but haven't found the time recently. I got around to setting up a basic page which does the DNS check you're refering to, and also does a check to make sure gopher:// requests are being proxied:

http://clayman.tor.grepular.com/torcheck.cgi

The DNS check basically works by just turning on binds query logging, and then having a daemon which tails the log file looking for the appropriate requests and then making the data available to the cgi

Regards,
Mike