Re: Proper TOR DNS Configuration Testing Help

That's awesome!  That's exactly how I was thinking but to be honest I wasn't sure how to implement the background service that ties the query logs to the web server.

If it wouldn't take too long, do you think you could talk about the specifics a little bit more?

On Dec 30, 2007 5:43 AM, Mike Cardwell <tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mark Manning wrote:
> Hello - I'm just starting to pay attention to this mailing list so
> forgive me if this subject has been brought up before.
>
> I'm interested in setting up a [or using an existing] service that could
> test for a proper DNS configuration [among other things].  The goal
> being that a person could visit a web page to confirm that their DNS
> queries were being forwarded through the TOR network and not using a
> local DNS server.

I was considering doing something similar but haven't found the time
recently. I got around to setting up a basic page which does the DNS
check you're refering to, and also does a check to make sure gopher://
requests are being proxied:

http://clayman.tor.grepular.com/torcheck.cgi

The DNS check basically works by just turning on binds query logging,
and then having a daemon which tails the log file looking for the
appropriate requests and then making the data available to the cgi

Regards,
Mike