Re: New Article Up

On 12/29/2009 3:38 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On 12/29/2009 04:23 PM, Programmer In Training wrote:
>> I just posted a short article on the settings to use when setting up
>> Pidgin and FF to use Tor. I tried to keep it simple, used screen shots
>> of the settings that I've been suggested to use and have had great
>> success in using to browse and IM across the Internets.
>
> Have you seen https://torproject.org/torbrowser?  In particular, the
> Building the Bundle bit,
> https://www.torproject.org/torbrowser/details.html.en#contents where we
> document what's changed and why in the various files?  Someday I'll
> write up a summary of all this for non-developers to read.

I've seen it and even have a copy of the self-extractor on my system.

As for the documentation, it's like the other docs in that I've found
them too convoluted for the beginner (like me) to understand and I wind
up asking more questions then I really need to. Also, everything is so
spread out (wiki here, documentation there, etc.) it can be hard to find
any particular piece of information. I'm just aiming to provide a simple
"starter" element that the average user can understand as they become
more security conscious (which is the whole point of my privacy series
that I started with "The Privacy Mandate").

I want to provide explicitly beginner, non-developer instructions to the
n00bs, so to speak, in a language that they understand and I want them
to have to only go to one place to find them. Eventually I'm going to
collect all the posts into a series of static HTML files and post them
in a sub-folder, provide a zip- and rar-compressed text and html format
as well.

> The prefs.js commit log may be helpful too,
> https://svn.torproject.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/torbrowser/trunk/build-scripts/config/prefs.js?view=log

I'll definitely take a look at all that documentation and see what I can
glean from it to help me in my own goals. Thank you for the links. (:

Again, if there are any settings that could be tweaked to be better (or
are considered just absolutely wrong), feel free to let me know and I'll
update that particular post (or write an update linking to that one,
depending on how many intervening posts I have).