Re: [tor-talk] URL Addressing

Inline below.

On 11 December 2014 at 16:29, Rocky_Tor <Tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello usprey,
>
> Thursday, December 11, 2014, 10:12:22, you wrote:
>
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address#IPv4_private_addresses
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network
>
> Thanks for a reply.
>
> Lead me thru this then. I type 192.168.254.16 into the regular old IE8
> or Firefox, and I wind up on a local, home, weather-reading device I'd
> installed a year ago.

Check.

> If I however type that into the address bar of my nifty Tor Browser, I
> get the aforementioned error message, and not the weather-device. Which,
> BTW, hasn't a resolvable address anyway.

Check. per the default exit policy:

reject 169.254.0.0/16:*
reject 127.0.0.0/8:*
reject 192.168.0.0/16:*
reject 10.0.0.0/8:*
reject 172.16.0.0/12:*

no exits allow access to their local addresses. If you were to use an exit
with accept *:* I'm still not sure Tor would allow you to connect to *the
exits* local IP-addresses.

> That I know of.
>
> Please help me then understand where the Wiki pages tell me how to get
> to my device by typing something different.

192.168.254.16 is a local host on your local network, which you do not need
to use tor to access.

If you still insist on accessing the service via Tor you would have to eg.
portforward your routers Public IP to the service.

> Again OB, thanks though for answering. I just need a little steering on
> this one.

Welcome.