Re: [tor-talk] Tor and solidarity against online harassment

>> For the record, feminism is the movement to fight inequality
>> against only women.
>
> Not according to wikipedia: 'to...establish...equal...rights for
> women', which include approaching equality from both sides, as
> appropriate.

'to...establish...equal...rights for women'

That is enough to determine the ideology right there. I am for the
rights of everyone and if you've ever had a debate with feminist
groups as I have for the past 5 years, you'll see their colours aren't
quite so clear cut. Ask the leading feminist movements for their
opinions on reproductive rights, child custody, prison sentencing,
jury bias, welfare systems (pensions and benefits), suicide rates,
cancer research funding, genital mutilation, legal resource
provisioning, charity resource provisioning,  etc and the topic
becoming uneasy for them quite quickly.

Anything addressing only the rights of a specific group or calling for
"equality" for a single group don't want equality, they want equality
just for that group which isn't equality at all.

>> rights versus supporting a movement based solely on the promotion
>> of a single direction of inequality they like to call "The
>> Patriarchy".
>
> Currenly the inequality is so massively in one direction socially
> even if no longer much legally that the P-word is still very
> apropos.

To quote the ever reliable Wikipedia, in full: "Patriarchy is a social
system in which: males hold primary power; males predominate in roles
of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege and control
of property; and, in the domain of the family, fathers or
father-figures hold authority over women and children. It implies the
institutions of male domination and entails female subordination. Many
patriarchal societies are also patrilineal, meaning that property and
title are inherited by the male lineage."

- ---

Look people seem to be misunderstanding my point. Tor is a means to an
end and to go out and support something like feminism is not what I
see as a way of showing their neutrality. If Tor gets involved in the
politics outside its own interest, whilst well intentioned, it will
cause more problems than it solves and it will make more enemies. I
don't doubt Roger means it well and I support anti-harassment, but
bringing feminism into the fray is problematic when in the UK feminism
has already done damage to our legal system and society.

Tor enables the debate, but shouldn't feature in it.

- -T