Re: [tor-talk] Including Adblock to TBB to save bandwith

Perhaps an internal fork of it could be made specifically for Tor to
make the black/whitelisting process accountable only to the interests
of anonymity and the Tor network. As I understand it, AdBlock
maintains a whitelist where providers can pay to be excluded from
their blockers and so it has a commercial interest which is
potentially very dangerous when combined with the factors already
mentioned.

- -T

Griffin Boyce:
> Greg Norcie wrote:
>> Also, from a less philosophical POV, adding any add-ons
>> increases attack surface.
>
> Yeah.  Aside from all of the other legitimate reasons why to not
> bundle an ad blocker with TBB, this is also a large amount of code
> (and filtering rules) that are maintained by an outside entity.
> Which makes a pretty decent attack vector.
>
> And also, if you are a filter/autoblocker/adblock/etc, you're
> deferring to someone else's judgment about what you should be able
> to see or read.  I say that as a user of adblock who is okay with
> the tradeoffs (and I whitelist ads on my favorite ad-supported
> sites).
>
> I'd be curious about the pros/cons of bundling in something like
> Privacy Badger, which has a bit of a different approach than things
> like Adblock Plus.  But this still goes back to the obvious "blob
> of outside code" and filtering issues that adblock et al have.  I
> think the best answer goes back to user choice -- users can add
> these and other extensions if they'd like, but Tor's software is
> designed to help bypass filters, so baking in filters feels like a
> step back.
>
> best, Griffin

- --
Activist, anarchist and a bit of a dreamer.

Current Fingerprint: E771 BE69 4696 F742 DB94 AA8C 5C2A 8C5A 0CCA 4983
Key-ID: 0CCA4983
Master Fingerprint: DDEF AB9B 1962 5D09 4264 2558 1F23 39B7 EF10 09F0
Key-ID: EF1009F0

Twitter: @CthulhuSec
XMPP: thecthulhu at jabber.ccc.de
XMPP-OTR: 4321B19F A9A3462C FE64BAC7 294C8A7E A53CC966