Re: [tor-talk] Possible upcoming attempts to disable the Tor network

Generally some criteria for DirAuths are people who are trusted by the
community, aren't raided very often/have legal troubles/could be
legally compromised, people with an extensive understanding of how Tor
works and people who can secure their systems from attacks. Remember
every time a dirauth is added or change IP a new tor version must be
released as they are hardcoded so it isn't a simple process to add a
new one, not to mention intra-dirauth communication and verification.

- -T

Tyler Durden:

> On 2014-12-22 23:20, Mirimir wrote:
> alarmist?
>>>
>>> So far all is quiet on the directory authority front, and no
>>> news is good news.
>>>
>>> As for Thomas's servers, I should emphasize that Tor exit
>>> relays aren't the same as Tor directory authorities. There are
>>> 1000+ exit relays in the Tor network, and it is normal (and
>>> safe) for them to come and go for all sorts of reasons. He took
>>> his relays down himself to be conservative while investigating,
>>> but currently he's not thinking it has to do with law
>>> enforcement. When he took them down, the Tor network
>>> temporarily lost a little bit of exit capacity, but that too is
>>> normal.
>>>
>>> There are six thousand plus relays in the Tor network right
>>> now, and things are happening as usual. There's no indication
>>> currently that anything in particular has happened recently.
>>>
>>> --Roger
>
>> Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry to confuse things. I saw in
>> the list of trusted authorities at
>> https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8774833 that Riseup runs
>> one, and somehow didn't see that Thomas was reporting on exit
>> relays and mirrors.
>
>> I ought to chill, I suppose.
>
> So is there no need for some more trusted dir authorities? I mean
> 10 for the whole networks seems a bit tiny.

- --
Activist, anarchist and a bit of a dreamer.

PGP Keys: key.thecthulhu.com
Current Fingerprint: E771 BE69 4696 F742 DB94 AA8C 5C2A 8C5A 0CCA 4983
Key-ID: 0CCA4983
Master Fingerprint: DDEF AB9B 1962 5D09 4264 2558 1F23 39B7 EF10 09F0
Key-ID: EF1009F0

Twitter: @CthulhuSec
XMPP: thecthulhu at jabber.ccc.de
XMPP-OTR: 4321B19F A9A3462C FE64BAC7 294C8A7E A53CC966