Re: TOS flags

This is interesting. What TOS code are you using? 92? Also, perhaps there are some other network tweaks we could implement. To make it easy, perhaps there could be a way to have Tor or a tor init script tweak the stack vars, then return them to the defaults (if user desires) when the tor process shuts down. I know a lot about TCP/IP optimization, so I can help with this if there's interest.
~A

Glymr Darkmoon wrote:
i have been experimenting with TOS mangling with iptables, and setting
the packets for port 9050 and 9030 to be set as 'minimize delay', and it
does indeed seem to improve latency with tor.

it made me think that it would make sense to set this flag by default in
tor. low latency, is the goal of tor, high throughput is not. therefore,
for systems that have tcp/ip stacks which read TOS flags, which is to
say, most modern systems now, will prioritise tor traffic at the top of
the scheduler's list, thus eliminating one of the biggest problems with
tor.

Glymr