Re: [tor-talk] Tails and a way to permanently install it on a removable media

this may be somewhat tangetial to the issue at hand, but these tutorials
for installing Backtrack on USB with an additional (encrypted) partition
for persistent storage might be a starting point for a DIY solution.
http://www.infosecramblings.com/backtrack/