Re: default setting in pidgin

The pidgin also has an OTR addon, so the point is also privacy along with anonymity, and one or the other or both will be compromised in case the usb is lost, discovered, left in someones device, etc...

Anyways, yes, i can turn it off, but the hundreds of others may not explore the settings, or they may not even understand them.
I fell the settings should be changed so that it does not log by default.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Hannah Schroeter <hannah@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 03:30:10PM +0000, M wrote:
>I was wondering why the default settings in Pidgin in the TOR-IM-Browser is
>set to* log chats and private messages*. I think this is quite contrary to
>the main purpose of TOR, which is anonymity, as it may very well be
>compromised if the if the USB, etc, falls into the other people's hands.
>Also, i dont think most people go into into the settings to change them, as
>they feel the setting are already optimized by the crew.

People who are really paranoid should check their things anyway.

Either log to a crypto partition or disable logging. Or if the aim of
anonymity is something different (like not being tracked by *outside*
people), the "risk" of local logging might not be in the scope of the
threat model anyway.

Kind regards,

Hannah.