Re: browser fingerprinting - panopticlick

On 01/30/2010 08:40 PM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
> Given the implications of panopticlick, have you any interest/plans in
> making Torbutton fingerprints even more indistinguishable (e.g. give
> every user a windows I.E. fingerprint)

Just to highlight what Mike said,

"As an aside, since there are already some questions in #tor and
#tor-dev, I want to point out that Torbutton's obfuscation features
are only intended to make you appear uniform amongst other Tor users.
Tor users already stick out like a sore thumb because of using exit
IPs, and the small numbers relative to the rest of your vistor base
will make Torbutton's obfuscated settings appear very unique compared
to regular visitors."

All Tor users should look the same.  Not the same as all Tor users look
like the rest of the Internet.  You already know it's a tor user because
of the easily identifiable exit relay ip address.  It should be hard to
tell if there is 1 tor user or 1 million from the other information
gleaned about the browser.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project