[tor-talk] sniffjoke/obfsproxy for defeating DPI:ing firewalls?

Hi,

It was recently suggested [1] that Tails [2] should include
sniffjoke [3], persumably to uncensor Tor in places where that is a
problem:

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> Adding sniff joke may be quite useful and it should be an option:
> http://www.delirandom.net/sniffjoke/

(Jacob is especially welcome to elaborate on this statement in this
thread.)

From my understanding, it may make sense to have sniffjoke obfuscate the
connection to Tor bridges when behind a firewall that can detect bridge
usage (e.g. like in China [4][5]). But only if it actually
defeats the DPI:ing firewall (which is unclear to me whether it is the
case in e.g. China). Has any one got experiences with Tor + sniffjoke in
places where DPI:ing firewalls are messing with Tor?

But what about obfsproxy [6]? This seems like the planned Tor
sanctioned way for solving this problem. How is this project coming
along, and when can we expect to see this ready for action? I assume
things like Vidalia integration planned(?).

Cheers!

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4639
[2] https://tails.boum.org
[3] http://www.delirandom.net/sniffjoke/