Re: [tor-talk] Fwd: ANONdroid

Thus spake Maxim Kammerer (mk@xxxxxx):

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 21:34, Mike Perry <mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > JonDos has something of a bad reputation in the Tor community because of
> > the "backdoor" Karsten and Robert mentioned. I think that against
> > adversaries like organized crime and oppressive governments, this
> > property can be a dangerous one for both users and node operators.
>
> Can any of you clarify this please? JonDonym's Wikipedia page [1]
> claims that no backdoor was ever installed in running MIX routers.
> What can be done to JonDonym (software or network) that can't be done
> to Tor?
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Anon_Proxy#Privacy

Please see other replies, but the "backdoor" in question is:
https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/law_enforcement.html

Tor does not have this backtrace capability. I have not inspected the
underlying implementation, but if it is retroactive, it seems vulnerable
to rubber hose cryptanalysis (and possibly even if not):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber-hose_cryptanalysis

This property also prevents JonDos entry and middle nodes from being
"hassle free", as is the case with Tor.

--
Mike Perry