Re: Sending mail through TOR/Socks

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 07:20:13PM +0200, Marco Gruss wrote:
> 4non ym0us wrote:
> >I'm aware of this and believe that it's a lot easier to convince my
> >webhost, if it comes down to it, to not block TOR exit nodes which
> >many does not appear to be accepting SMTP anyway, compared to if my
> >IPs are being used for massive spammage.
> I think this is the main reason why mailing fails so often: Most exit
> nodes simply don't allow connecting to port 25. Every time you try
> sending a mail and your exit node at that time doesn't allow it, you'll
> get the described timeout.

No, Tor is smarter than that: your Tor client knows the exit policies
of the Tor servers, and it picks an appropriate exit node.

If I had to pick a reason for your problem, it would be that only 2 of
the 700 currently running Tor nodes allow port 25 to exit, and these
are likely on all sorts of SMTP blacklists.

--Roger