Re: is this a bandwidth problem? my IP is a TOR exit, the client works and the server doesn't

"Rip Rock" <riprock.adres.nl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/ verifies that my TOR setup really is
> working, and it shows IPs and machine names that have nothing to do with
> my real IP and machine name.  That much is great.  However, when I try
> surfing to .onion URLs, I get 503 or 404 errors, along with the
> not-very-encouraging message that my request "could not be fulfilled,
> because the domain name *... *could not be resolved....This is often a
> temporary failure, so you might just try again."

Remote Tor checks usually only confirm that your request is coming from
a known Tor exit node, they don't confirm whether or not your using
socks4 or socks4a. Are you sure you're using the latter?

> I'm using Vidalia/Privoxy/Firefox/Torbutton and I usually don't run a
> server.   And it's great for going to normal webpages but telling them
> some other IP.
>
> I tried running a server to see if that would improve matters, but
> possibly my bandwidth is too low (I'm just on a home ADSL account).
> Jul 22 11:29:12:003 [Warning] Your server (...:9001) has not managed to
> confirm that its ORPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports,
> address, /etc/hosts file, etc.
> Jul 22 11:29:12:080 [Warning] Your server (...:9030) has not managed to
> confirm that its DirPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls,
> ports, address, /etc/hosts file, etc.

I don't think this is related to your hidden service problems.

> I think the problem might be a lack of bandwidth.
>
> I don't believe I have a firewall problem.

While it could also be a NAT problem, I wouldn't rule out a firewall issue.

> I imagine the worst-case scenario is that I'll be unable to resolve any
> .onion URLs until I buy a huge amount of bandwidth, set up a dedicated
> TOR server, and thus get enough traffic to be thoroughly connected.  In
> other words, I fear that I might have to set up a miniature ISP in order
> to get any .onion connections.
>
> Is there any way to troubleshoot this, short of setting up a miniature
> ISP?

Check your Tor logs. A failed request for a hidden service should
result in something like:
Jul 22 14:28:10.086 [notice] Tried for 120 seconds to get a connection to hy2644uxnz6zwt6c:80. Giving up. (waiting for circuit)
or:
Jul 22 15:07:26.829 [notice] Rend stream is 120 seconds late. Giving up on address 'hy2644uxnz6zwt6c.onion'.

If there are no such messages you may not be using socks4a.

With a socks4 (no "a") connection between Privoxy and Tor
you would still pass remote Tor checks, while your DNS requests
could be done through a standard name server which wouldn't
resolve onion domains and might explain the error messages.

You could also try opening "example.noconnect". If it leads
to the same error message you're not using socks4a.

Additionally you could build Privoxy 3.0.7 from CVS to get a
less useless error message in case of forwarding failures.
It wouldn't solve the problem, but might make diagnosing it
easier.

Fabian