is this a bandwidth problem? my IP is a TOR exit, the client works and the server doesn't

So http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/ verifies that my TOR setup really is working, and it shows IPs and machine names that have nothing to do with my real IP and machine name.  That much is great.  However, when I try surfing to .onion URLs, I get 503 or 404 errors, along with the not-very-encouraging message that my request "could not be fulfilled, because the domain name ... could not be resolved....This is often a temporary failure, so you might just try again."

I'm using Vidalia/Privoxy/Firefox/Torbutton and I usually don't run a server.   And it's great for going to normal webpages but telling them some other IP.

I tried running a server to see if that would improve matters, but possibly my bandwidth is too low (I'm just on a home ADSL account).
Jul 22 11:29:12:003 [Warning] Your server (...:9001) has not managed to confirm that its ORPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports, address, /etc/hosts file, etc.
Jul 22 11:29:12:080 [Warning] Your server (...:9030) has not managed to confirm that its DirPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports, address, /etc/hosts file, etc.

I think the problem might be a lack of bandwidth.

I don't believe I have a firewall problem.

I imagine the worst-case scenario is that I'll be unable to resolve any .onion URLs until I buy a huge amount of bandwidth, set up a dedicated TOR server, and thus get enough traffic to be thoroughly connected.  In other words, I fear that I might have to set up a miniature ISP in order to get any .onion connections.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this, short of setting up a miniature ISP?

Thanks.