Re: What are Tor guards?

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 01:53:08PM +0300, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Roger Dingledine wrote:
> > http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#EntryGuards
> >
> > Also see Section 5 of
> > https://tor.eff.org/svn/trunk/doc/spec/path-spec.txt
> >

> Let's see if I got this straight. The Entry Guards are "more trusted"
> ORs, hand picked by.... who? According to what criteria? They obviously
> need to have a high uptime, and relatively high bandwidth, but is
> that it?

Yes.  They are not more trusted than other nodes; the point is that
you stick to a small set of entries in order to avoid profiling
attacks.  Read through the math in the FAQ entry again, and check out
the papers that the FAQ entry lists.

What part of the documentation gave you the impression that guards
were hand-chosen?  We should fix that.

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson