locating hidden services

Hi again,

Learning about hidden services - what are the methods (if any) for
Tor users to locate a hidden service? Is there a way to search for
them, get the info from the directory servers, etc?

Say for example that I have a web server running as a hidden
service and I only want people from a certain group to be able to
locate/access that server. Authentication has already been
addressed on the server but I don't want users who are not part of
that group to "bang" on my hidden service with a bunch of bogus
login requests.

In the past, I've used port knocking/SPA to address this issue but
I'm not exactly sure how that would work out in a Tor/Hidden
Service environment - anyone have any experience along those lines?
Any other information or advice?

Thanks as always - nD

--
Live the good life! Click now for great retirement planning assistance!
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dQXa9Q3uwL9LU4xK72RWz8nFg7UkzDwSFU923hWGZKosOrH/