Re: [tor-talk] Bursts of 'many circuit creation requests'

On 2012-07-08 09:24, Andreas Krey wrote:

> I'm occasionally seeing bursts of that in my log:
>
>     Jul 08 08:37:59.000 [warn] Your computer is too slow to handle
>     this many circuit creation requests! Please consider using the
>     MaxAdvertisedBandwidth config option or choosing a more restricted
>     exit policy.

Did you reboot your dsl router? IIRC, there was a similar problem when I
run a Tor relay behind my Fritz!Box (AVM). After max. 10 days online,
connections where drastically slowed down by the box (lack of ressources).

Rebooting the box every sunday was a good workaround for a while. In the
meantime my dsl router was replaced by a dedicated dsl modem + router
(pfsense) - no more such problems since then.

> So, the question is: Is there something fishy or something buggy
> going on here? Or neither, but then what is that?

I don't know. If you run your relay an Linux, you can use 'iptables'
with the module 'recent' to limit new connections/second.

> This is 0.2.3.12-alpha running on a pretty lowly AMD Geode 500 MHz.
> I've taken the tor node offline for a few more hours.

I don't think that the cpu is the limitting factor. My Tor relay is
running on such a machine (Alix-Board) too, (bandwidthrate 64000 B)
without problems.