Re: [tor-talk] Will Tor affect Internet Explorer? (newbie question)

While someone using IE reading this thread might want to switch to Tor
Browser Bundle, and do so, I have a related, newby question: once having
switched to Tor Browser Bundle, and, if one also wants to make browsing on
one's smartphone secure with Tor, how does one do this?

I've downloaded, for example, Orbot and Orweb, which I think are Tor
Browser Bundle parallels for handheld internet phones. I've also configured
them successfully, I think. But I haven't been able to get a specific email
site up in my Orweb browser ever (over 2-3 months), whereas I can get some
other web pages, like google.ca, to work, sometimes. I use Android 4.x.

It seems logical for non-Tor entities (e.g. like states' parties) not to
allow individual's complete security - which is partly why Tor was written,
I hypothesize - but why can't I access this email site, and what can I do
to access it, please?

Here's to moving away from IE and toward more security on all of the
computers one uses.

And thanks for writing the Tor Browser Bundle.

Scott

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 08:39:15PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> > It's great that there are so many new people learning about Tor these
> > days. But on the other hand, Tor (like security in general) is still
> > one of those things that takes some effort to learn about -- you have
> > to learn about a lot of other things while you're doing it.
> >
> > I'd start with
> > https://www.torproject.org/docs/documentation#UpToSpeed
>
> It occurs to me that I should clarify here. If you want to be a normal
> Tor user, it's good to have a look through the above list, and try to
> understand as much as you can. But you don't have to know what a socks
> proxy is, or what it means to fork Firefox, in order to be a normal Tor
> user. But in that case, you *do* need to just use Tor Browser Bundle or
> Tails as-is. That's why we wrote them for you.
>
> It's when you want to do non-standard things, like hook up another
> browser to Tor, that you need to learn enough about what's going on to
> realize why that's (usually) a bad idea.
>
> --Roger

http://scottmacleod.com/worlduniversityandschool.htm

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential. If the reader of this email message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this
email in error, please notify the sender and destroy/delete all copies of
the transmittal. Thank you.