Re: [tor-talk] Illegal Activity As A Metric of Tor Security and Anonymity

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 04:41:30PM -0300, Juan wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 14:36:08 -0400
> Paul Syverson <paul.syverson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> >It's hard to imagine what would satisfy you at this point but
> > perhaps this will help: I designed Tor with Roger and Nick. At all
> > times we designed it to be as secure as we could given usability,
> > performance, and other practicality goals (which are themselves
> > security goals we considered, as has also been widely documented). At
> > no point did we intentionally do anything to make the design less
> > secure than we could think how to do while still making it as usable
> > and practical as possible.
>

> 	You do realize that given the politics of the US government
> 	your claims are pretty shaky, no ? You are to be oh so
> 	trusted...because you say so? Come on.

In keeping with the explicit goals and assumptions of Tor: No, I don't
think I should be taken at my word.  I think people should instead
rely on the extraordinary evidence of the most well-documented,
scrutinized, and open system in existence. I wouldn't have bothered to
claim anything except that Mark explicitly said, "I don't see anyone
denying it.  Do you?"  As I noted, I did see that others already had.
But since he didn't seem to, and as a designer of Tor, I explicitly
and directly answered him.  Believe me or not as you wish.

aloha,
Paul