Re: OnionCat -- An IP-Transparent TOR Hidden Service Connector

On Tuesday 24 June 2008, M. Peterson wrote:
> > http://www.abenteuerland.at/onioncat/
> >
> > for further information.
>
> Would it be useful, that each onioncat installation is as well a tor
> router? then all is fine, as every node is routing other nodes, and while
> that adding one node to the network.

Yes that's also my idea.
But as I already told OnionCat is in an early development state and we tried
to not mix it with TOR code as also TOR itself is permanently under
development.
But if our project gets accepted as useful idea and piece of code by the TOR
guys it's not very difficult to bundle it.

> As emule to emule both need onioncat, all is as well fine, and no outproxy
> is used for bandwidth.
> For RetroShare and other applications the question is, how to reach users
> with normal IP adresses, which do not use any onionCat.
>
> What are the plans here, to mix onioncat users with normal IP users (as
> well ipv4 users) from the normal web over TOR Outproxy servers?

I have it on my TODO-List. I need to add routing capability for OnionCat what
basically is not a big problem, but I'd like to have some interoperability
with the kernel routing table and that adds portability troubles. So I could
use my own routing table which is easy to write portable code. Im not
perfectly sure yet.

But beside of technical issues it may create security issues.
Basically it is not so easy while using TOR to configure every software in
that way that it does not reveal some information about the user. That's
getting even a harder problem with onioncat because data forwarding is much
easier because no additional settings (proxy, SOCKS,...) are necessary.

Bernhard