Re: FYI: router BillyGoat is offline

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Michael <cozzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael wrote:
Kyle Williams wrote:
reject 0.0.0.0/8:* <http://0.0.0.0/8:*>
reject 169.254.0.0/16:* <http://169.254.0.0/16:*>
reject 127.0.0.0/8:* <http://127.0.0.0/8:*>
reject 192.168.0.0/16:* <http://192.168.0.0/16:*>
reject 10.0.0.0/8:* <http://10.0.0.0/8:*>
reject 172.16.0.0/12:* <http://172.16.0.0/12:*>
reject 66.109.20.52:*
accept *:80
accept *:443
accept *:43
reject *:*

  Kyle,

  One more question if you would indulge my curiosity. What service was the course of the "spam"?

  Michael

  I'm replying to my own post because my comment makes me look like a moron.

  I was wondering if the complaint was about abuse of whois servers or web based services.

  Michael

Web based services.
I see you caught was I was looking into.  From what I was able to tell, the large amount of request to whois server where just that, lookups on a whois server.  Yet, they take up a very small portion of the overall network traffic that moved through my node.

I would have to say that blocking whois servers through Tor wouldn't help the speed of the overall network.  I'll have more stats on this later.

- Kyle