[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.3.18-rc is out

Tor 0.2.3.18-rc is the first release candidate for the Tor 0.2.3.x
series. It fixes a few smaller bugs, but generally appears stable.
Please test it and let us know whether it is!

https://www.torproject.org/download/download

(Packages coming eventually.)

Changes in version 0.2.3.18-rc - 2012-06-28
  o Major bugfixes:
    - Allow wildcarded mapaddress targets to be specified on the
      controlport. Partially fixes bug 6244; bugfix on 0.2.3.9-alpha.
    - Make our linker option detection code more robust against linkers
      such as on FreeBSD 8, where a bad combination of options completes
      successfully but makes an unrunnable binary. Fixes bug 6173;
      bugfix on 0.2.3.17-beta.

  o Minor bugfixes (on 0.2.2.x and earlier):
    - Avoid a false positive in the util/threads unit test by increasing
      the maximum timeout time. Fixes bug 6227; bugfix on 0.2.0.4-alpha.
    - Replace "Sending publish request" log messages with "Launching
      upload", so that they no longer confusingly imply that we're
      sending something to a directory we might not even be connected
      to yet. Fixes bug 3311; bugfix on 0.2.0.10-alpha.
    - Make sure to set *socket_error in all error cases in
      connection_connect(), so it can't produce a warning about
      errno being zero from errno_to_orconn_end_reason(). Bugfix on
      0.2.1.1-alpha; resolves ticket 6028.
    - Downgrade "Got a certificate, but we already have it" log messages
      from warning to info, except when we're a dirauth. Fixes bug 5238;
      bugfix on 0.2.1.7-alpha.
    - When checking for requested signatures on the latest consensus
      before serving it to a client, make sure to check the right
      consensus flavor. Bugfix on 0.2.2.6-alpha.
    - Downgrade "eventdns rejected address" message to LOG_PROTOCOL_WARN.
      Fixes bug 5932; bugfix on 0.2.2.7-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (on 0.2.3.x):
    - Make format_helper_exit_status() avoid unnecessary space padding
      and stop confusing log_from_pipe(). Fixes ticket 5557; bugfix
      on 0.2.3.1-alpha.
    - Downgrade a message about cleaning the microdescriptor cache to
      "info" from "notice". Fixes bug 6238; bugfix on 0.2.3.1-alpha.
    - Log a BUG message at severity INFO if we have a networkstatus with
      a missing entry for some microdescriptor. Continues on a patch
      to 0.2.3.2-alpha.
    - Improve the log message when a managed proxy fails to launch. Fixes
      bug 5099; bugfix on 0.2.3.6-alpha.
    - Don't do DNS lookups when parsing corrupted managed proxy protocol
      messages. Fixes bug 6226; bugfix on 0.2.3.6-alpha.
    - When formatting wildcarded address mappings for the controller,
      be sure to include "*." as appropriate. Partially fixes bug 6244;
      bugfix on 0.2.3.9-alpha.
    - Avoid a warning caused by using strcspn() from glibc with clang 3.0.
      Bugfix on 0.2.3.13-alpha.
    - Stop logging messages about running with circuit timeout learning
      enabled at severity LD_BUG. Fixes bug 6169; bugfix on 0.2.3.17-beta.
    - Disable a spurious warning about reading on a marked and flushing
      connection. We shouldn't be doing that, but apparently we
      sometimes do. Fixes bug 6203; bugfix on 0.2.3.17-beta.
    - Fix a bug that stopped AllowDotExit from working on addresses
      that had an entry in the DNS cache. Fixes bug 6211; bugfix on
      0.2.3.17-beta.

  o Code simplification, refactoring, unit tests:
    - Move tor_gettimeofday_cached() into compat_libevent.c, and use
      Libevent's notion of cached time when possible.
    - Remove duplicate code for invoking getrlimit() from control.c.
    - Add a unit test for the environment_variable_names_equal function.

  o Documentation:
    - Document the --defaults-torrc option, and the new (in 0.2.3)
      semantics for overriding, extending, and clearing lists of
      options. Closes bug 4748.