Re: [tor-talk] Until there's a REAL effing way to communicate, that evey1 can use, I'm DONE

----- Original Message -----

From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I'm not sure where you're coming from. Why can't non-techies use email?!?
> How is this mailing list preventing a lot of people from communicating?

Thank you.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this allegation is unfounded.  Non-techies have been using e-mail lists for decades.  The most clueless computer users in my college who used AOL for practically everything still somehow managed to subscribe to majordomo lists through pine from a shell prompt.  Subscribing to this list is easy compared to that method.  Now, of course there is something to be said for "non-techies" choosing not to use e-mail lists due to the abundance and availability of services like Facebook or Google+.  Those services are promoted better.  But, the claim that the same people signing up to those services, which require an e-mail account in order to sign up for them, couldn't sign up to this list does not appear to be supportable in the slightest.

For the reasons others have stated, I prefer e-mail as well.  Forums are a pain to navigate compared to e-mail.  They simply become too fractured.  I also got to see the implementation of one e-mail list that attempted switching over to a web forum while integrating the list into the forum.  People could make posts or reply to the list and it would also show up on the forum.  While a novel idea at the time, and I unfortunately have no recollection of what the software was named, it was an ugly mess in implementation and was abandoned in fairly short order.