Re: [tor-talk] Question for those who say "Tor is pwned"

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 07:12:31PM -0700, Ted Smith wrote:
> Paul, it pains me to see someone, who has contributed so much to
> humanity through a long and celebrated career as a scientist, feel the
> need to engage with what is at worst an agent of some oppressive
> government hoping to scare people off Tor, and at best a hostile crank.
> As a counterpoint, I'd like to thank you for everything you've
> contributed,

I ack your thanks to Paul, and concern for him, and for the tor
"community".

I don't share your aspersions - certain styles of communication, though
brash, may be just what's needed by an individual who actually needs tor
for something, but is a bit too sleepy to realise they need to up their
personal opsec game.

Again, Paul thank you for the time you spent responding here. Really
appreciated.

> and beg the Tor Project to take better care of its public
> channels of discourse. Things weren't always this way, and regardless of
> the motivations of those involved, this behavior is an attack that needs
> to be defended against.

In situations where great personal angst/ emotional pain are experienced
by one or more individuals, I think we need to show a little tolerance to
the need for the members of a community to talk through their
conversation, to engage with one another - and yes, sometimes this will be
rough and or very distracting to say developement and helping users.

What's happened in recent weeks is about as big as it gets. And is also by
nature pretty rare. I am personally confident that the list will settle
down again soon enough.

If we really want to separate public discussions and offtopic but
hopefully related matters, or to "control" these, the question arises: Is
the Tor project willing to host a genuinely "off topic and unmoderated
(barring statute law in jurisdiction of origin) with firm intention to be
at least in some way related to Tor" type mailing list?

If not, we need to know so that we who want such a thing can have it. For
example I subscribed to tor-talk in the understanding that it is
unmoderated. I would personally like to know if the Tor project find this
list (or perhaps another with a slightly better name to remind people it
is unmoderated and separate it from end user support requests) untenable.

Many individuals seek community, yet some of course have different ideas
of what that means.

And what humans need or find useful is another matter.

Thanks for listening,