Re: [tor-talk] Design of next-generation Tor systems

FYI

----- Forwarded message from carlo von lynX <lynX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -----
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 10:05:27PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Great discussion, great questions, fascinating to read!

Thx

> If building a new physical layer network (neighbour to neighbour), which
> layer would be recommended - ethernet or UDP?

Performancewise it hardly makes a difference if you have a bit
of IP on top. I would guess TCP/IP buys you more flexibility.

> Would the gnunet/Tor type network layers/ protocols, be built always in
> UDP, or is this a silly question? (Sorry, I don't exactly know what I'm
> asking about properly...)

To defy censorship all the systems use TLS to be harder to
distinguish from HTTPS. You can avoid that whenever you're
no longer running over the broken Internet. In that case
you can use UDP or even bake up a new wire protocol. For
Tor it makes no sense, as it depends on the old Internet.
gnunet already supports UDP as one possible transport.

UDP isn't as bad as its reputation. I've been using it for
cross-server notification for years. But when people start
having NATted and firewalled networks, it all starts looking
ugly.

Feel free to publish if you think this is useful. I would
assume many already know what I just wrote.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/