Re: tor 0.2.1.24 crashes on Sparc-Solaris10

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:47 PM,  <Thomas.Hluchnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Dienstag 09 März 2010 schrieb Roger Dingledine:
>> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 08:23:30PM +0100, Thomas.Hluchnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > When starting tor it comes up but crashes within one minute.
>>
>> Try these:
>> http://freehaven.net/~arma/tor-0.2.1.24-dev.tar.gz
>> http://freehaven.net/~arma/tor-0.2.1.24-dev.tar.gz.asc
>
> Unfortunately this didnt help. But I succeeded in another way meanwhile:
>
> The crashing tor executables were built with gcc. The one who works right now, is from Your dev tarball, but built with Suns cc plus an interesting CFLAG. I found some info in the net (http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/manage_core_dump.html):
>
> The Sun Studio C/C++ compiler has the -xmemalign option, which can be used to adjust the behavior of the UltraSPARC CPU when there are unaligned memory addresses that can be determined at compile time. The -xmemalign option causes the compiler to generate additional load/store instructions for unaligned memory access. However, the -xmemalign option cannot handle unaligned memory access during runtime. If unaligned memory access happens during runtime, the developer needs to change the source code.

It would still help a lot if you could get a stack trace to find out
where the unaligned memory access happens.  We try to only do aligned
memory access in our code; if there's somewhere where we're doing
unaligned access, I want to find it and fix it.

yrs,
--
Nick