Re: [tor-talk] Tor Project and Youtube is blocked in Turkey too

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 05:01:00PM +0200, kusburnu@xxxxxxxxxx wrote 0.6K bytes in 0 lines about:
: Today, Tor Project and Youtube websites are blocked in Turkey by the
: biggest Turkish ISP, TTNet. However, other ISPs in Turkey will block them
: too. Besides, I'm not sure they're going to block Exit Nodes in days to
: come but probably they'll.

Hello Kus,

Thanks for fighting the good fight. I recently had a similar experience
in Egypt, where just about everyone thinks Tor is for criminals, etc. Yet,
most of them used Tor in 2011 during their most recent revolution.

The first step to the end goal of censorship is surveillance. The
Internet might seem like the ultimate tool for free speech, but without
tools to protect our privacy, unwanted surveillance online can post a
serious threat. Every day around the world, people are using Tor to
protect their online privacy, whether they're concerned about surveillance
by corporations, their government, or someone else. This is also true
for circumventing Internet censorship.

Tor, like all technology, can be used for good or bad. Kitchen knives,
iPhones, and automobiles are used every day for both good and bad, yet
no one is advocating a ban of these technologies. If someone starts a
crime wave with crowbars, do you ban crowbars? Then hammers? Then tire
irons? The morality is in the user of the technology, not the technology
itself. The same Tor that's being maligned in the press is used daily
by law enforcement agents to successfully hunt down horrendous criminals
by protecting the identity and privacy of the agent.

Tell us how we can help Turkey defeat this attempt to censor the Internet.

And again, thanks for blogging about Tor in Turkey.

--
Andrew
pgp 0x6B4D6475