Re: [tor-talk] Tor Browser 4.5a4 on Raspbian wheezy

On 03/10/2015 03:02 AM, Georg Koppen wrote:
> Mirimir:

> Nice. I have not heard someone trying to do that before.
>
>>> At least, it's interesting. I wanted to look into that myself (because
>>> I only have a raspberry at one place and want the TTB), but...
>>>
>>> Did you build on the rasperry or cross? Care to share details?
>>>
>>> Andreas
>>
>> I built on a Pi 2, with Raspbian wheezy on a 32GB class 10 microSDHC
>> card. It took 6-7 hours at 100% CPU, and I had to cool the Pi 2 with a
>> small fan to prevent overheating. I followed exactly the instructions in
>> the above URL at "Building Just Firefox", except that I commented out
>> "ac_add_options --enable-tor-browser-update" in
>> "~/tor-browser/.mozconfig" after configuring.
>>
>> After "make -C obj-* package INNER_MAKE_PACKAGE=true", I executed
>> "~/tor-browser/obj-armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf/dist/firefox/firefox".
>> And it works. But I've since discovered that add-ons are broken.
>
> Not sure what you mean with "works" but starting it this way will create
> a new profile (or use an existing one) without any of the extensions
> needed for Tor Browser (like Torbutton and HTTPS-Everywhere etc.) and
> without tor and pluggable transports.

Given how I built Firefox, what is the proper way to start it? I'm
guessing that there isn't one, given what I have so far. The
instructions that I followed say to copy Firefox into an existing Tor
Browser folder. But of course, I don't have one of those in Raspbian
wheezy. If I did, I wouldn't be building from source.

I'm using this Pi with a Tor gateway Pi, so I don't need tor or
pluggable transports. But I do need the profile and extensions.

>> Browsing "about:addons", I get:
>>
>> | XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
>> | Location: about:addons
>> | Line Number 390, column 15:
>> |
>> |            <label value="&plugins.installed.find;"/>
>> | -----------^
>>
>> I'm not sure how to proceed, and would appreciate suggestions. I don't
>
> Commit bc305e697edb6860fe035e4b67fc5f027de237a5 in Tor Browser needs
> this entity and Torbutton defines it. This is, again, a sign that you
> are missing the extensions we ship in Tor Browser.

What are my options for creating a proper Tor Browser profile with the
requisite extensions (Torbutton, HTTPS-Everywhere, NoScript,etc)? Might
I just copy that from the Tor Browser 4.5a4 release for Debian/Ubuntu?
Otherwise, I suspect that I'd need to build the complete bundle from
<https://git.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git>. Or is
there another solution?

>> believe that Gitian is workable in Raspbian wheezy. But if Gitian is the
>> way to go, I can try it in Ubuntu 14.10 / Linaro 15.01
>> <http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=98997>.
>
> I'd be very much interested in looking at the results/dead-ends/issues
> when using the deterministic builds approach. Might be good to document
> your findings in #12631 which is the ticket for the ARM port of Tor Browser.

Thank you. I will do that.