Re: [tor-talk] Tor Browser 4.5a4 on Raspbian wheezy

On 03/10/2015 03:49 AM, Mirimir wrote:
> On 03/10/2015 03:02 AM, Georg Koppen wrote:
>> Mirimir:

>> Nice. I have not heard someone trying to do that before.

Thanks for your help.

>>> I built on a Pi 2, with Raspbian wheezy on a 32GB class 10 microSDHC
>>> card. It took 6-7 hours at 100% CPU, and I had to cool the Pi 2 with a
>>> small fan to prevent overheating. I followed exactly the instructions in
>>> the above URL at "Building Just Firefox", except that I commented out
>>> "ac_add_options --enable-tor-browser-update" in
>>> "~/tor-browser/.mozconfig" after configuring.
>>>
>>> After "make -C obj-* package INNER_MAKE_PACKAGE=true", I executed
>>> "~/tor-browser/obj-armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf/dist/firefox/firefox".
>>> And it works. But I've since discovered that add-ons are broken.
>
>> Not sure what you mean with "works" but starting it this way will create
>> a new profile (or use an existing one) without any of the extensions
>> needed for Tor Browser (like Torbutton and HTTPS-Everywhere etc.) and
>> without tor and pluggable transports.
>
> Given how I built Firefox, what is the proper way to start it? I'm
> guessing that there isn't one, given what I have so far. The
> instructions that I followed say to copy Firefox into an existing Tor
> Browser folder. But of course, I don't have one of those in Raspbian
> wheezy. If I did, I wouldn't be building from source.
>
> I'm using this Pi with a Tor gateway Pi, so I don't need tor or
> pluggable transports. But I do need the profile and extensions.
>
>>> Browsing "about:addons", I get:

>>> I'm not sure how to proceed, and would appreciate suggestions. I don't
>
>> Commit bc305e697edb6860fe035e4b67fc5f027de237a5 in Tor Browser needs
>> this entity and Torbutton defines it. This is, again, a sign that you
>> are missing the extensions we ship in Tor Browser.
>
> What are my options for creating a proper Tor Browser profile with the
> requisite extensions (Torbutton, HTTPS-Everywhere, NoScript,etc)? Might
> I just copy that from the Tor Browser 4.5a4 release for Debian/Ubuntu?
> Otherwise, I suspect that I'd need to build the complete bundle from
> <https://git.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git>. Or is
> there another solution?

The simple approach worked, presumably because nothing in Tor Browser
except Firefox (and Tor, which I remove) is architecture-dependent. But
a little tweaking was required. I installed tor-browser_en-US from
tor-browser-linux32-4.5a4_en-US.tar.xz, and overwrote the Firefox folder
from the build. Because Tor is running on a gateway Pi, I also deleted
the Tor folder.

In order to have Tor Browser run without local tor process, I added two
lines to prefs.js in the profiles:

| user_pref("extensions.torlauncher.prompt_at_startup", false);
| user_pref("extensions.torlauncher.start_tor", false);

Once Tor Browser would run, I changed SocksPort to 192.168.2.1:9150 and
disabled the TorLauncher extension. All expected extensions are present.
Also, https://check.torproject.org reports that that the browser is
using Tor, and doesn't complain that it's not Tor Browser. All that's
left, I think, is to configure ControlPort 192.168.2.1:9051 and make
Torbutton happy.

>>> believe that Gitian is workable in Raspbian wheezy. But if Gitian is the
>>> way to go, I can try it in Ubuntu 14.10 / Linaro 15.01
>>> <http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=98997>.
>
>> I'd be very much interested in looking at the results/dead-ends/issues
>> when using the deterministic builds approach. Might be good to document
>> your findings in #12631 which is the ticket for the ARM port of Tor Browser.
>
> Thank you. I will do that.

I'll also look at the deterministic builds approach using Raspuntu.