Re: Some legal trouble with TOR in France

Hi Olivier,

Wow, that's shocking to read. Honestly, though I'm not that surprised,
this had to happen sooner or later to exit nodes because some people
know how to arrest someone but have no clue about networks and their
possibilities. I feel sorry for the inconvenience that caused for you.
However, this might have a good part, too: at least now you know that
you can run an exit node without getting accused or so (it caused
inconvenience the most, but no accusation or so right?). If that
happened to me then at least I'd know next time they will know about Tor.
Here in Germany I wouldn't dare to run an exit node yet until it was
decided whether they can accuse you for this or not if something like
your case happens because some judges decide total bullshit sometimes
because of not having a clue.
And just like the wiki said: some sick criminal would use other means
to get what he wants if Tor wasn't there and it will always be like
that. It's not us or Tor which is the problem, it's just the pure
nature of evil/madness being the cause of these problems (and
politicians who want to spy on our privacy actually force use to build
these kinds of networks!). Yet nice to read you want to keep up the
good work. :)

Sincerely,
Landorin

Olivier Barbut schrieb:
> Hello dear tor talkers,
>
> I'm running the tor router "mini", located in paris, france, and I
> believe I have to share with you what happened to me last
> wednesday,the 10th of May. My router was an outside gateway, doing
> request for tor anonymous users.
>
> Last wednesday morning, at 7:45, three cops did knock at my door.
> They suspected me to have downloaded some child porn videos. As I
> was waking up, I understood it was tor-related. I did explain them I
> was a TOR outside gateway, but they didn't knew about it. They
> searched everywhere in my small home and took every support they
> could find: hard drives they removed from computers, cds, disks, and
> then they took me to the police station, at the child protection
> service, jailing me the whole day while they was searching my hard
> drives and cds for traces of the video they was looking for.
>
> They did asked me if they was a way to trace back to the criminal
> who downloaded this child abuse video, but I told them "not in my
> knowledge" and "the tor network is designed to make this impossible,
> keeping no log of traffic".
>
> At 19:00, having not found these video, having learned more about
> tor and confirmated I was running it, they freed me, giving me back
> my cds and hard drives.
>
> It's sad the way some people use their freedom, e.g. participating
> in child abuse, but I'm still a strong believer in the necessity of
> anonymity on the internet.
>
> As I asked them, they did assure me they accessed my hard drives
> read-only, using hardware write disabler, but I still prefer not to
> run it straight from the hard drive they had in hand for the whole
> day as I know cops are not that trustable. The "mini" router will be
> back in a few days. Not getting paranoid, but using paranoïa to make
> sane decisions !
>
> Do you know if similar things did happenned to other routers ?
>
> If you wants some more details, or have advice for me please ask and
> /or give.
>
> Thanks everyone for making this possible !
>

> Olivier Barbut

- --
Accelerate cancer research with your PC:
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/curecancer.html

GPG key ID: 4096R/E9FD5518