Re: Some legal trouble with TOR in France

> On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 09:09:06AM -0700, Ringo Kamens wrote:
>
> > If it's the JAP I'm thinking of, you shouldn't trust it. The german
> > government ordered JAP top put in a backdoor to the program to catch one
> > solitary JAP user even though it was against german law. The backdoor was
> > released as an urgent security update and the guy was nabbed.

i don't want to play the JAP advocacy game, but your information is
false.

if you check the press releases on anon.inf.tu-dresden.de, you will
learn that nobody was 'nabbed'.  there was a single IP address
recovered for a single http request before the project's lawyers put
an end to the data collection, and the german authorities where
requested to delete that IP address in court a little later.  so it is
impossible to use the address for anything, and there is no evidence
that the IP address was ever mapped on a true identity (it might have
been one in internet cafe, or one of those ISPs that delete the
mapping in compliance with german privacy legislation).  certainly
nobody was put to court for accidently retrieving a single offensive
web page before moving on to other places on the web.

i find it very instructive to personally know and trust the JAP
project team, and compare what i experience with my own senses to what
is considered The Truth by the public.

> Yes, you probably shouldn't use JAP if you plan to assassinate the president.

should you use tor, then?  hum, i honestly don't know which risks i
would find harder to accept.  they are probably both too weak.

> > As for the tor server, I suggest that you completely wipe those drives
> > securely, reformat, and reinstall everything. The best thing to do would be
> > to sell those drives and buy new ones because it could be that they put taps
> > in them. Also, they could have installed a keylogger. If I were you, I
> > wouldn't use any of that equipment again. At the very minimum, you need to
> > reinstall windows/linux/etc. and tor with a reformat because they probably
> > put in a trojaned version of tor.

... and you should give up sleeping, or they might bug your skull and
tap *all* your private conversations.  (-:

sorry,
m.