Re: Crazy with Exit nodes

"Mr. Blue" <trashdsfg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At the moment of writing this email
> Node tamaribuchi worked great for me.
> So I'll base this example on it.
>
> I have a great need to use exact exit nodes.
>
> When I go to:
> http://www.whatismyipaddress.com.tamaribuchi.exit/
>
> I get expected response AND IP.
>
> But when I go to majority sites in form like:
>
> http://www.domain.net.tamaribuchi.exit/
> I get:
>
> Index of /
>
>       Name                    Last modified       Size
>  Description
>
> [DIR] Parent Directory        20-Sep-2006 00:00      -
>
> [DIR] cgi-bin/                19-Apr-2006 11:04      -
>

> Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.server1.some-domain.com.zz
> Port 80
>
> OR when I alter it to
> http://www.domain.net.tamaribuchi.exit/index.php
>
> Not Found
> The requested URL /index.php was not found on this
> server.
>
> Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered
> while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the
> request.
> Apache/1.3.37 Server at
> www.server1.smileyhosting.com.zz Port 80
>
> OR (in worst case)
>
> Great Success !
> Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM?
> Server................... (You know the rest of story)
>
> BUT when I access all this site withot
> .tamaribuchi.exit part ALL is well.
>
> I must access those site with prefered exit node so
> what am I doing wrong here?

Web servers that are responsible for more than one
domain rely on the HTTP "Host" header to decide which
content you're interested in.

If you use Tor's exit node notation in the URL,
the browser will also append it to the Host header.

If the web server ignores the Host header anyway,
it doesn't matter, otherwise you get an error message
because the web server isn't aware of any host with
Tor exit node notation at the end. Some servers also
simply use a default host instead of an error message.

You'll either have to find a way to tell the browser
not to add the exit node notation to the Host header,
or remove the exit node notation later on.

The latter can be done automatically with Privoxy's
hide-tor-exit-notation filter, you can also do it
manually with Firefox extensions like "Tamper data".

I assume there are extensions that can do it automatically
as well, but I haven't looked for them.

Note that many HTTP proxies rebuild the host header
from the URL in which case removing the Tor exit node
notation in the browser is futile.

Fabian