Problems starting relay

Hi,
I'm having trouble starting up a Tor relay.
Once I set up port forwarding (I've tried to set it up for TCP and UDP), should I be able to
a) Ping myself from a looking-glass service
b) Traceroute myself from a looking glass ?
At the moment neither of these work.
I get 'cannot confirm you can be seen from the outside world' errors.
I'm on a dynamic IP, Mac OSX, I haven't changed any of the defaults from the Vidalia bundle.
the logs say
'Nov 02 04:35:41.569 [Notice] Opening OR listener on 0.0.0.0:9001'

Thanks,
downie