Re: [tor-talk] ads slow Tor Browser dramatically

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 15:13:15 -0500
grarpamp <grarpamp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For many people, those benefits outweigh the talked about risks.
> So install them if you like. But I don't think it's right to ask
> torproject to install the plugin of the day as a convenience factor.

Yes. Despite my qualms (I despise the ideology behind immersion
advertising and don't trust the perpetrators one iota) I think that
users are probably safer applying their own ad blocking if they wish
to, rather than have TBB impose it by default. It feels (NB this is
intuition, not research) like not having a consistent background
ruleset to compare against should amplify the amount of analysis needed
for effective fingerprinting. The biggest potential risk is if you use
the same plugin with the same settings for both anon and non-anon
traffic. I can't see a solution to that except education.

Julian

--
3072D/F3A66B3A Julian Yon (2012 General Use) <pgp.2012@xxxxxx>