Re: [tor-talk] Prepared for [Raided for running a Tor exit node]?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM, grarpamp <grarpamp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Running an exit node from home DSL or Cable is bad idea. One must look
> >> for a Tor friendly ISP and have balls made of steel!
>
> ... ISP[/hoster] and[/or] have ...
>
> > However, I do not believe it is that way in
> > the United States
>
> What 'way'?
>
> Running an exit node at home, or elsewhere, would seem to come
> down to...
>
> a) Are you physically ready for a query / subpoena / search warrant /
> exigent raid?
> Are things segregated by room?
> Are your doors and machines labeled with the same sort of exit node notice
>  you'd put on the TCP port and in DNS?
> Have you inventoried, photographed and documented your setup and property?
> Do you have offsite backups?
> Are private things encrypted?
> Are any co-habitants aware and similarly prepared?
>
> b) Are you mentally ready?
> Is your life and butt otherwise clean, legal, and organized?
> If you were to appear in court, how would you act and be perceived?
> How do you feel about being in the news and in public docs?
> Have you networked with other operators and entities?
>
> c) Are you legally, financially, and timewise ready?
> Have you consulted with and preselected a couple attorneys?
> Have you made arrangements for making bail?
> How will you make court required appearances?
>
> All these sorts of meta things, and surely more, come into play whether
> or not you're ever raided. I'd suggest making a wiki article for them.

I do believe some one sounds very paranoid. If you feel that way, you have
been around here long enough to know what you can do to avoid all the '
what if's '. All that paranoia is what causes stress related illnesses.

Running a exit node on DSL or Cable from home, is just as safe, I believe,
as running it through a provider from another country. There are options
one can use if they do not want to run a full exit relay node. As they can
run a middle node which cuts down the probability of legal issues arising.