Re: smokeping - or your RTT from tor26

Increasingly, Internet service providers are getting into the habit of
filtering ICMP ECHO packets.  The reasoning is something to the effect
of: "Two widespread worms happen to use pings prior to probing.  By
blocking pings, we can reduce infection and thus save money.  Since our
goal is to save money, this is what we will do.  98% of our customers
use the Internet only to browse the plethora of HTTP servers running on
port 80, and thus ping is not a vital part of our business model."

Sure, this sucks.  It breaks path MTU discovery; it makes diagnosing
network errors difficult.  But not everyone is in control of the
upstream routers.

For example, you will not hear from cassandra or serifos.  I wish that
this were not the case, but the fascists who run the upstream connection
from the particular network on which those two machines lie follow the
sort of braindead reasoning I outlined in the first paragraph.  I
apologize on their behalf, and frankly I am a bit embarrassed by their
behavior.  But as I said earlier, there is nothing that I can do.

Geoff