Re: Interoperating with p2p traffic

Marc Abel writes:
> a)  Would it help to have a per-connection throttling mechanism?  Not
> using hard limits, but a policy which responds to requests from
> low-traffic connections ahead of higher-traffic connections?
>
> b)  Alternatively, would it help if torrc prioritizes port numbers?  Tor
> might put ssh first, then http(s), then ..., then bittorrent.

two advantages of a) over b):

 - it wouldn't be difficult for people to adapt the torrent protocol
  to use high-priority ports if b) was used.  tunneling through ssh
  seems to be particularly easy to hack to me.

 - i think a) also is more fair between non-filesharing users that
  differ in bandwidth hunger.

what about sybil attacks, though, ie. attacks that open many channels
in parallel, impersonating a large number of anonymous users?

in general, i would love to see the 'we don't like this or that kind
of application' policy go away.  currently i'm all for it, but it
would be better if the network could survive all users at the same
time.  (hum, i've been stating the obvious again, sorry...)

matthias