Tor network connections constantly building / failing

Recently noticed Tor being slower than usual & network map shows MANY new connections building, then failing VERY quickly. (within a sec or so). Does this constantly - one connection after another. Using Vidalia 0.2.1.26-0.2.9; Torbutton 1.2.5.

Sometimes there are at least 3 connections open - sometimes not. 1st time I've seen this.

Did close Vidalia / Tor, Polipo, Firefox 3.6.10 & Torbutton, the restart - couple of times - no change. During the connection, for brief times, D/L speeds may get up to "normal" for me - but not for long.

Anyone noticed this or have suggestions?  Thanks.