Re: [tor-talk] still unable to reach StartPage or Ixquick

On 10/9/2013 8:00 PM, krishna e bera wrote:
On 13-10-09 07:14 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
After manually adding prefs.js entries in 3.0a4, that were suggested on
Tor project Trac to make it work, there's no change in being unable to
connect to Startpage, Ixquick, DDG; often even Wikipedia -SSL & Google.

Could it be (for Startpage & Ixquick), they've suddenly become very
popular, due to lots of recent news about various "people" watching
everything?  Maybe they're limiting Tor or other anonymous traffic to
keep servers open for regular users.

No explanation for DDG, Wikipedia.  Just that in regular Fx, can connect
to all of them instantly.

When you reinstalled or upgraded your TBB, did you remove the directory
first?  Sometimes a clean install gets rid of strange glitches leftover
from in place upgrades.

I never install TBB over the top of old versions or use an old profile.

Since it's done the same thing (starting > a wk ago in 2.3.25-12), now same exact thing in 2.3.25-13 & 3.0a4.
I can connect to Bing & Yahoo - in any TBB version I'm now trying.

I even have tabs open w/ the URLs already entered for Startpage, Ixquick, Google & say Bing, Yahoo AND any usual site. Google doesn't fail as much, but never had a problem w/ any of them before. So when Startpage, et al. fail, I instantly load another site (Mozilla.org, etc.) - which succeeds - using the same relay circuit. I checked w/ the network map open to make sure circuits weren't changing between the failures & successes.

One or 2x wouldn't mean anything, but I've repeated it dozens of times over many days w/ very consistent results. I also have Firefox open w/ the same site as TBB - say Startpage. When they fail in TBB, I instantly load it in regular Fx & loads every time. So the search sites' servers aren't overloaded - at least for normal internet traffic.

For a bit, I wondered if my ISP was slowing connections to Tor relays, but I don't have the TBB connection problem w/ most other sites, so that can't be it. I'm just brain storming. Thinking outside the box - what if I look at the problem from opposite direction. Instead of thinking as a problem of "Startpage, et al. not accepting Tor / TBB," look at it from a "Tor / TBB having problems with these sites" stance (Startpage, et al.).

There's obviously SOME reason, but not typical - given all the methods & versions I've used to rule out possibilities. Yahoo, Bing, Amazon, Ebay searches - together w/ the nsa, *must* be blocking me from other searches engines, forcing me to use them. Yeah, that must be it.