Re: [tor-talk] What are some free and private email providers?

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 20:35:56 +0000
Johnny Carson <BM-2cWsmYXZ1wDRbXAriL1tFwmsm4mbCAqD9Q@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
allegedly wrote:

> I was thinking about this to get around IP blocks on Tor exit nodes:
>
> My computer (SSL) > Thunderbird + Torbridy > Tor (not using hidden
> service to bitmessage.ch) > Internet > VPN > Internet > Bitmessage.ch
> > Internet > Recipient
>
> Not sure if that's possible or easy with VPN and Bitmessage Mail
> Gateway??

Huh? I don't follow that at all.

I can see you connecting to bitmessage.ch over Tor, but, how on earth do
you expect to get the bitmessage server to route a message to an
external recipient's MTA over the net, through a VPN back to
bitmessage.ch then back out over the net to a clearnet MTA?

Whatever. The problem remains that if the clearnet MTA subscribes to an
RBL system (or has other blacklisting in place) it may simply refuse to
talk to a server identified as a Tor node, (or indeed to a system
identified as "mail.bitmessage.ch"). And there is nothing you can do
about that in advance.

SMTP was never designed with privacy or anonymity in mind. It is
iredeemably broken for that purpose. So any and all attempts at making
a hybrid system which /may/ work within an anonymising network such as
Tor, will almost certainly face problems when attempting to connect to
clearnet systems. The gateways between the two systems have to be
indentified. If they are identified, they can be blocked.

There are good reasons why the default torrc exit policy blocks port
25.

Best

Mick

 Mick Morgan
 gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312
 http://baldric.net