Re: [tor-talk] Fwd: SecureDrop, new whistleblower submission system

On 10/31/2013 01:45 PM, mick wrote:
> Could you not run tails in a VM using virtualbox on the Macs?
>
> (I ask because I have no experience of virtualbox on a Mac. I only run
> Linux. Tails runs fine on a VM hosted on linux so I see no reason
> why it could not run on a VM hosted on OSX.)
>
> (OT I know, and more appropriate for a tails list)

With SecureDrop, the viewing station requires Tails with persistent
storage, and you can only use persistent storage if you boot off of a
USB stick. (I haven't tried it yet, but you could probably get Tails
running in a VirtualBox with persistent storage as long as you're
booting the VM off of a real physical USB stick.)

SecureDrop also depends on hidden services. To see a good overview of
how the hidden services and Tails end up working in practice, see:
https://github.com/freedomofpress/securedrop/blob/master/docs/user_manual.md

--
Micah Lee
@micahflee