Re: [tor-talk] Tor Relay Smartphone App

I wrote:
Isis,

Why, then, has there been discussion of the use of Raspberry Pis
without mention of this?

People have taken it upon themselves to run relays on raspis, but that's not exactly Tor's fault.

It seems really obvious not to run a relay off of an extremely low-power computer. IRL, I always try to convince people not to do it, but it rarely works. Honestly I would recommend against it even for a bridge, but there's something to be said for having increased address diversity at the expense of performance. (But I *also* don't want bridge users to be penalized for needing to use a bridge).

Raspberry Pis are decent for most running hidden services, however they suck royally for relays.

But to answer your actual question: because we each only have a finite amount of time and can't respond to every thread. As for what to run a relay on, there are very small servers that run about $100 that get the job done.

I follow the "1 rule" -- At a bare minimum, 1GB RAM & 1Ghz CPU, connected via ethernet, with "RelayBandwidthRate 1000 KB" set in torrc. This is for a dedicated machine that only runs a relay. Not a raspi, not your phone, not a cafe wifi in Kamchatka. Test your internet speed before setting up your relay and you may be pleasantly surprised at how much throughput you can get. =) Helping the network is really important, but you want to make sure that you're not actually hurting the network on accident.

best,
Griffin

--
"I believe that usability is a security concern; systems that do
not pay close attention to the human interaction factors involved