Re: [tor-talk] Tor Relay Smartphone App

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Griffin Boyce <griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> It seems really obvious not to run a relay off of an extremely low-power
> computer.

I'd just like to add that I don't think it is really obvious that running a
relay from an extremely low-power computer is a bad idea. There are many
networks in which anemic computers can be successful participants, even
with highish bandwidth requirements. There are probably tons of people out
there who are sympathetic to the high level goals of tor, but don't have
enough background on how it works to know exactly what kind of hardware it
needs. (Including myself, at the beginning of this thread!)

I would hope that a multi-pronged approach would be adopted, to:

1. Educate users about what hardware and software they need to productively
contribute.

2. Improve the network to allow users to productively contribute with
whatever resources they can. (For example, even allowing users who cannot
proxy traffic of any kind to at least participate in peer discovery, or
contribute somehow to geographic diversity or fault tolerance.)

3. Improve software to inform users that they don't have the hardware and
software necessarily to contribute. A well meaning user should just get a
friendly message saying that they should buy better hardware or upgrade
their connection, and the client should refuse to run.

I think such a multi-pronged, user-friendly, and fault-tolerant approach
would probably best serve the long-term goals of the project.