Re: [tor-talk] Tor exit node issues

On 10/02/2015 12:44 AM, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> On 10/01/2015 08:55 PM, CJ wrote:
>> I'm wondering if I could configure an exit proxy between my exit node
>> and the clear net in order to deny accesses to specific URL parts,
>> like "wp-login.php" and other well-known stuff.
>
> No, this is not possible in any useful way, sorry. You will mess with
> user traffic, which is something you should never do. It will break
> stuff for regular users. I strongly advise against this, and if it is
> detected your relay will be blacklisted for exiting. Also, you might
> open yourself to severe liability issues if you modify or influence
> forwarded traffic. As an example, Â512 of the US DMCA law only applies
> if "[...] the transmission, routing, provision of connections, or
> storage is carried out through an automatic technical process without
> selection of the material by the service provider" and "the material is
> transmitted through the system or network without modification of its
> content" [1]. Similar passages exist in any country where I have looked
> at the laws, including all of European Union through 'harmonization' of
> each countries laws to meet the requirements of the respective EU
> directive [2]. The relevant laws of several countries are linked in the
> "Tor Exit Guidelines" (please add more countries). [3]
>
> What you should do instead is convince your ISP to have you listed as
> the abuse contact for the IP address so you don't add to their workload.
> Some ISPs have written scripts that forward abuse complaints to their
> customers automatically based on custom IP addresses mentioned in the mails.
>
> [1] https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/512
> [2]
> http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32000L0031:En:HTML
> [3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorExitGuidelines

Hello Moritz,

thank you for your feedback. I'll try to convince my provider to put me
as "abuse contact" so that I can handle those emails without having to
make 10'000 emails (to the provider, to the "victim" and so on), but I'm
pretty sure they won't: they already didn't want to deactivate their
"netscan" thing that triggers alarm for nothing as well, though I
already told them the IP is dedicated, running on a dedicated instance,
that runs only Tor as exitâ
I'm pretty sure I'll have to cut this exit down, and won't be able to
run a new one elsewhere :(.

The proxy thing was an elegant solution, displaying a 403 error when
people try to access the pages â but indeed, this can as well deny
access by legit usersâ It's a pity seeing that many bots using Tor, and
we cannot do anything against this kind of usage (well, of course, this
is intended ;) ).

Cheers,

C.