Re: [tor-talk] Tor and forward email to Spam folder.

> But sometimes, mail servers (are checking if the sender domain name = IP
> ? to prevent spam ?
> May be I'm wrong, not an expert ;)

Some servers can check for a valid rDNS/FCrDNS [1].
Reverse of the IP sending the mail must be equal to the HELO/EHLO domain used.
For example the nazi and very bad DNSBL V4BL [2] do this check and reject all
mail if not pass. This check is also a clue for spamassassin [3] for spam
scoring but doesn’t reject the mail only on this fact.

This is a best practice from RFC 1912 [4] but is highly problematic for self-
hosting/tiny mail provider because it’s not common at all to be able to manage
IPv4 reverse (and worst IPv6 reverse) :
	- Reverse IPs require cooperation of your ISP/IP provider because the
affected in-addr.arpa zone is on it authority server and not your. Only few
allow reverse IP for their customers.
	- It’s not compatible with multiple domains behind single IP with standard
tools (EHLO/HELO is generally not dynamic but static in SMTP config).
	- It requires a single SMTP outgoing gateway for all your outgoing mail
server, to avoid reverse DNS on all your IP and in particular on your shared
hosting server.

Only huge enough email providers like Google or Microsoft are able to ensure
clean rDNS/FCrDNS in practice…

> I see on mine bad guyz trying to send mails from a domain name not equal
> to the IP from it's sent... is it "reading" the header informations to
> make it possible ?

Spammer generally use a EHLO with the targeted domain or common outgoing
domain (gmail, yahoo, microsoft…) to try to confused anti-spam or badly
configured incoming mail server (corporate email servers generally whitelist
their own domain…).

And remember the SMTP *content* can be totally different from SMTP *metadata*.
You can announce an EHLO domain "foo" but send an email from and to "bar"
domain. This can be a spoofed email but also totally valid email.
An email sent from a "foo" server with a "foo" TO addresses but a "bar" FROM
and BCC adress will generate the following SMTP on the BCC server.

	EHLO mx.foo
	MAIL FROM:<sender@bar>
	RCPT TO:<bcc@bar>
	DATA