Re: servers using netbios??

Hi phobos,

Thursday, August 25, 2005, 9:25:02 AM, you wrote:

> In your config, do you have either of these options checked:
>
> TCP/IP ->> Advanced -> DNS -> Register this connection's address in DNS
>
> TCP/IP ->> Advanced -> WINS -> Enabled LMHOSTS lookup AND for NetBIOS
> settings: Default or Enable
>
> If so, uncheck "Register this connection's address in DNS" because the
> root servers don't care about your dns entry.  And if you have LMHOSTS
> and/or NetBIOS over TCPIP, Windows will do some "window's name
> resolution" which is over UDP on ports 135-139.

Yes, I did in fact. I unchecked them all except NetBIOS over TCP/IP. I
can't turn that off, otherwise I won't be able to share folders on my
LAN. It still happens occasionally, though. So you're saying this is
normal Windows behaviour, or is there something wrong with my DNS
resolving?

I did a lot of researching on this subject only to find that DNS
resolving is a complicated thing, specially in a Windows environment.
My router does DNS relaying and I use a large HOSTS file. Maybe you
can point me to a reference where this specific situation is
addressed?

--
cheers!
 alien  mailto:alien51@xxxxxxxxxxxx

.. On the other hand, you have different fingers.